As you may have seen in the press the Stern review has just issued a report of its recommendations. Some of the main ones are:
- That all research active staff should be included in the REF.
- Outputs should be submitted at Unit of Assessment Level. There will be an average number of submissions but with flexibility for some people to submit more and others less than the average.
- Outputs will not be portable between institutions – this is to avoid universities “buying in” researchers with a good portfolio just before the REF.
- Peer review will still be the main means of assessment although metrics will be provided for panels.
- There will be institutional level impact case studies to encourage universities to show their interdisciplinary impacts. Support for interdisciplinary and cross-institutional initiatives are also mentioned under environment.
As all researchers are now likely to be included in the REF it is even more important that everyone submits their work to the Research Information System.
If you want to know more try: