You may have come across Scival, Elsevier’s citation analysis tool which we have access to at the university. InCites is a rival product based on Web of Science data which allows similar analysis.
- Access Incites at http://wok.mimas.ac.uk then click the InCites link at the very top of the screen.
- You will need to create your own username and password which can then be used on or off campus.
- The built in InCites System reports are the easiest place to start. If you have an ORCID or researcher ID use the researcher report to get a picture of how often you have been cited, which journals have given you the most citations and which area of your work has the highest impact. The other three reports look at the institution – how it’s research performs in terms of citations, which journals it publishes in and which organizations it collaborates with.
- For more in depth analysis you can filter people, organizations, regions etc. to get the data you want.
- More detail about the indicators used in InCites is in the indicators handbook.
- Recorded training on different aspects of InCites can be found at http://wokinfo.com/training_support/training/incites/
Let us know if you discover any interesting snippets about university research!