A group of 11 European funders, including UKRI, have put open access back in the news. They propose a radical plan from 2020 where:
- Papers must be free to read on publication
- They must have a liberal licence which allows others to reuse, translate or download the work.
- Papers should not be published in hybrid journals which take subscriptions as well as article processing charges
- Green open access would be allowed but with no embargo period
- Funders will cap the amount they will pay for article processing charges.
- Authors should keep their copyright with no restrictions
Publishers have obviously hit out at the plans as unworkable. Time will tell…